Updated: Jun 16
The food you serve your guests can be one of the most memorable parts of your wedding so choosing the right caterer is one of the most important vendor decisions you’ll need to make. Some venues will only allow you to use their catering services or a company from their preferred supplier list, but if you’re able to pick your own then they’ll want to hire someone who will be open to your suggestions and develop a menu that reflects your tastes and style.
It’s a good idea to get an idea of your caterer’s experience to ensure that you’ll be getting a good service that will run smoothly on the day.
· How long have you been in business?
· How many weddings have you catered?
· Have you worked an event at my chosen venue before?
What type of food items do you recommend for…?
Discuss your budget, taste, style and number of guests with your potential caterer to get an idea of what type of food they may be able to serve for your wedding.
· What type of dinner service do you suggest?
Discuss what type of service will suit your wedding, for example, a sit-down dinner, buffet, food stations or family style.
· How will the dinner/stations/buffet be presented and served to our guests?
Depending on what type of dinner service you’re interested in you may wish to ask some of the below questions
How will plated meals be served? Will service be synchronised? Will starters be passed?
If you’re looking for something specific or want more than just food from your caterer check they able to supply you with your needs, some suggestions of what you may ask are included below from dietary requirements to rental items.
· Do you offer organic selections?
· Where do you source your ingredients from?
· Do you offer vegetarian/vegan/dairy-free/gluten-free options?
· What options do you provide for children’s meals?
· Do you offer a wine service with dinner?
· Do you provide other alcohol?
If so, do you provide bar staff? What is the charge for bar set-up? (mixers, ice, napkins etc)
· Do you offer wedding cakes or desserts?
· Will you cut and serve the wedding cake?
· Can you provide a coffee and tea service?
· Do you provide rental items such as tables, chairs, linens, glassware and china?
· Can you provide bottled water or a drink station for the ceremony?
· Can you cater the rehearsal dinner or other wedding events?
· What is the ratio of servers to guests?
· How will the servers be attired?
· Do you cook on-site at the event location?
· What is the procedure for doing a ‘tasting’ of the food choices?
· Will we be charged extra for tastings?
Pricing and Confirmation
· Will you reserve my wedding date until we finish interviewing caterers?
· What type of deposit is required and what is the schedule of payments?
· When is the final guest count due?
· Is a service charge included in the price?
As part of my full and partial planning packages, I will liaise with all your suppliers, including caterers, taking the stress away from you so you can enjoy the fun of selecting your menu, attending tastings and having a beautifully created meal on the day, you can find out more about my service here. To discuss further and find out how I can help you, visit leaholiviaweddings.com or contact me at email@example.com.